State of Texas Transportation Conformity Guide
To assist Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO) with the development of Transportation Conformity documentation by providing the tools and resources in one central location.
What is Transportation Conformity?
Transportation Conformity is a federal requirement in nonattainment areas to conduct air quality analysis on projects, programs, and policies identified in transportation plans, transportation improvement programs, federally funded projects, or projects requiring federal approval. Conformity determinations must demonstrate consistency between emissions expected from the implementation of transportation plans and programs and Motor Vehicle Emission Budgets (MVEBs) in the applicable implementation plan. To meet this criterion, conformity determinations in nonattainment areas with adequate MVEBs from an applicable State Implementation Plan (SIP), must perform a MVEB test. For the MVEB test, the emissions analysis must demonstrate the estimated emissions are less than the MVEBs in the applicable implementation plan.
The determination of the analysis is a two-step process in metropolitan areas. The first step is for the MPO to make the initial transportation conformity determination at the local level. The second step is for the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to make a joint transportation conformity determination at the federal level. Upon favorable federal approval, a four-year window begins during which projects, programs, and policies identified in the Metropolitan Transportation Plan and Transportation Improvement Program may move toward implementation.
Pre-Analysis Consensus Plan Template
Conformity Document Structure Template
Conformity Submittal Items
Contact List for all Consultation Partners
TCM Substitution Process
- Updated Working Copy
- EPA Guidance for Implementing the TCM Substitution and Addition Provision:
- SIP Timeline 2015 (PDF from TCEQ website)
- Areas Subject to Transportation Conformity
- Dallas-Fort Worth Regionally Significant Roadway System Definition
- The Texas Guide to Accepted Mobile Source Emission Reduction Strategies
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Conformity Information
- FHWA’s Conformity Information
- State Approved Conformity Rules
- Federal Register (pending rules/regulations)
- Court Decisions and Rulings
For website updates, please contact: Kristi Holstead at (979) 458-4502 or firstname.lastname@example.org.