Gear up for the first round of funding – applications now accepted
For Immediate Release, May 8, 2019, Contact Andrea Morrow at (512) 239-5000
The Texas Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Program is now accepting applications for the first round of funding with more than $58 million for projects that replace or repower school buses, transit buses, and shuttle buses.
Who can apply?
Any person or entity who operates school buses, transit buses, or shuttle buses, with at least 51 percent of the buses’ annual mileage in one of the priority areas designated below, may be eligible to apply for a grant. Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Austin Area: Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties
- Beaumont-Port Arthur Area: Hardin, Jefferson, and Orange counties
- Bell County: Bell County
- Dallas-Fort Worth Area: Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise counties
- El Paso County: El Paso County
- Houston-Galveston-Brazoria Area: Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller counties
- San Antonio Area: Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, and Wilson counties
An eligible bus must be powered by a diesel engine and may be replaced or repowered with a new all-electric, diesel, or alternative fuel vehicle or engine. In addition:
- School buses include a bus with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 14,001 pounds or greater and which is intended to carry students to and from school and related events.
- Transit and shuttle buses include a bus with a GVWR of 14,001 pounds or greater and which carry passengers on routes within a city or defined regional area.
Informational workshops will be held throughout the month of May. For the full workshop schedule, visit www.TexasVWFund.org. The workshop schedule can be found on the “Meetings and Notices” tab. Contact TxVEMP staff by phone at (833) 215-TXVW (8989) or by email at [email protected] with questions.